NEW: WINTER 2012 SESSION STARTS MONDAY, FEBRUARY 13
Start the year off right – make an investment in your writing life!
This five-week session will cover the fundamentals of freelancing, including:
- Querying 101
- How do I get clips if I don’t have any clips?
- Just what IS a clip, anyway?
- Exploration of the different kinds of paid writing: service/how-to, investing trends, exploring news and studies, essays, blogging jobs, etc; as well as the breadth of topics for those who want to write about parenting: health, development, psychology, food and nutrition, crafts, travel, pregnancy and childbirth, mom-focused stories, home and family, and so on
- Students will learn how to research new markets and how to find and approach editors
- Assignments will include market research, goal-setting activities, and exercises to help writers identify their strengths and the topics they are most interested in and qualified to write about
- Students will learn the difference between researching, writing, and sourcing a service story, investigative story, essay, and blog post
- Session will cover what makes an essay different from a blog post and the importance of finding a universal theme or hook when writing essays
- Students will learn how to find ideas via their family experiences, by keeping an ear to the ground for what parents are talking about, and by using online resources
- Rejection: how to turn it into opportunity
- Discussion of the difference between generalization and specialization and how to narrow focus, either by topic or type of story, in order to make the most impact from investment of time
- Students will learn about the importance of building relationships with editors and how to do so
- Class will cover the growing area of earning money via blogging and explore options including blogging for pay and monetizing a personal blog
- Students will learn about the importance of following up and how to do it gracefully
- Exploration of networking, conferences, and relationship-building
- Marketing for writers: how to create a professional image, online, in person, and via your work
- Students will learn how to build momentum and how to use small successes as stepping stones to larger successes
Class will include weekly handouts and assignments, a biweekly online chat, and opportunities to read and offer feedback on one another’s work. Each student will have at least one query or essay critiqued by Meagan.
Cost: $255. To enroll, send tuition via Paypal to firstname.lastname@example.org. Questions about the class? Contact Meagan at email@example.com
Class starts on Monday, February 13, and will continue for five weeks. Group chat sessions with Meagan will be held on February 13, February 27, and March 5, from 9:00 – 10:00 PM EST. Chats are not mandatory but can be a valuable opportunity for students to ask questions and get to know their classmates. Ongoing discussion will take place in a private Facebook group and offer an opportunity for camaraderie and community-building with other writers.
Class size limited to 15 people, so register soon.
I offer ONE need- and merit-based scholarship per class. If you are interested please fill out this application form by 1 PM EST, Friday, February 3. Application date has passed.